Russell Chest Seal (RCS)
$22.47 – $39.20
The Russell Chest Seal® (RCS) is a hydrogel-based dressing with an integral low-profile valve. Its purpose is to cover penetrating chest wounds to allow air to escape from the pleural cavity without being drawn back in. The aim is to minimize lung collapse associated with this injury and to facilitate lung re-inflation.
The base material of the Russell Chest Seal® makes an excellent airtight and secure seal. It has been thoroughly tested and proven on military operations and adheres effectively to sweaty and hairy skin. It will remain adhered over many hours and is comfortable for the patient in prolonged use.
Another component that makes the RCS unique is its valve mechanism. It is constructed from a thin, but tough material which makes it very compliant. This allows it to open and close with very small changes in pressure. The valve is quite transparent so the dressing can be positioned accurately over the wound. A large base aperture gives some latitude for inaccurate placement in high stress environments. Four peripheral apertures are large enough (36Fr) to allow blood to escape if necessary without blocking the valve. The four apertures provide substantial redundancy: if up to three of the four holes become obstructed the valve will still remain fully operational.
The Russell Chest Seal® has a unique low profile and flexibility. It is supplied in a pre-folded form to make it easy to stow into medical packs. In low light conditions, the valve can be ‘felt’ to be working making it ideal for military operations.
- Fast, easy and intuitive to apply
- Patented hydrogel base – Sticks and Stays Stuck!
- 4 large peripheral apertures allow drainage of air and blood
- Large central hole in base material allows quick accurate placement with reduced risk of obstructing the wound opening
- Low profile and highly flexible
- Compact: easy to pack into medical kit
- Dimensions: 7.87in x 5.90in
- Pack Dimensions: 5.51in x 5.12in
- Weight: 20.50gm